Hyperlinks in Outlook not working
So your best friend sent you the newest cat video on YouTube. You eagerly click on the link to it in Outlook, only to be greeted by the message “This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer”
Wonder why it happened and how to fix it? Well, thanks to a little research, some regshot and some windiff, I have gotten to the root cause.
The most common way to trigger this error is when Google Chrome is uninstalled.
Google Chrome changes a number of registry keys when installed so that links open in Google Chrome. When uninstalled, it REMOVES the keys entirely instead of changing them back. Without these keys, Windows does not know how to open a link.
To fix this, run the attached file. Here is some note:
1. This program was made by me. It simply re-inserts 6 registry keys back into the PC.
2. This program will need admin rights
3. This program is not OS specific and has been tested on XP and Windows 7.
4. There is no feedback from this program. It silently adds the keys back in. It will send a few messages before and after.
5. You need to close Outlook and Internet Explorer or it may not work correctly.
6. You do not need to restart the PC normally, but try it in case this doesn’t work.
If the first fix does not work, you have a few options.
1) Run the Microsoft FixIT from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049
2) Install Google Chrome, set Internet Explorer as the default browser, and then remove Google Chrome.
Did this work for you? Let me know in the comments below.